Sunday, April 10, 2011

Free To Be Me

"The 30s are wonderful years! You will gain confidence in who you are and will plainly see the direction of your life." -Card from ChoirFriend

I am so blessed!

I am the wife of a loving husband, who supports me when I spend the day coaching (character day), and surprises me in the evening with desserts, cards, and a beautiful box...



Yes, it was a Tiffany & Co. ring!

I am the mother of two fantastic children. I stayed up late last night chatting with the Teenager, and enjoyed celebrating this evening with Daughter. Raising them with Husband has been the crowning achievement of my life thus far.

I am the daughter of amazing parents, who taught me that love is a choice and has very little to do with genetic relationships! It was great spending time with them this past weekend, enjoying outlet mall shopping and Lobster Fest. I am a sister to four younger siblings (and a sibling-in-law), who teach me so much about life, and the proud Godmother of SweetNiece.

I am the coach who made a difference in half a dozen young lives this season. Teaching young women about character through the medium of volleyball is the best ministry ever. This was a special team, and while it was time for the season to end, I cherished every minute of it. Today I received affirmation that they got a lot out of it as well. Best gift ever (well, best abstract gift. I'm really loving my T&C ring).

I am the friend of beautiful people, the kind that understand all the other balls I'm juggling, and love me even when they don't physically see or hear from me for a few days, weeks, or months. One thing I'm glad I can give up is some of the relational guilt I've carried around for three decades.

I am a child of God, beloved of The Creator, who taught me this year what it means to be human. He has spoken to me about the importance of recognizing the limitations of my humanity, and I now realize that being "free to be me" means accepting my imperfections: I'm overweight, I'm habitually late, I stress instead of celebrate, I'm crabby with my Daughter, I am incapable of cleaning the dang Scary Room, I take too many pictures, I spend too much money eating out, I don't exercise or strengthen my back enough, I can't stick to diets, I over-schedule myself, I'm a perfectionist, I'm not generous with God's money, and I forget to meet with God in prayer on a daily basis. I am an imperfect human being.

It's not an excuse. I'm working to improve, and by the grace of God I'll make some headway. But I'm FREE to be imperfect. God, my family, my friends, my players-they all love me even though I'm not perfect (some of them love me BECAUSE I'm not perfect!), and that is the greatest blessing of all.

It's been a good year. Soli Deo Gloria.


border="0" alt="Hit Counters">


Web Site Hit Counters

3 comments:

  1. Dang you, lady--you made me cry! Thanks for sharing your journey this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm... we faithful readers could have used a picture of the actual ring too. Just saying...

    I love you. I am proud of who you are. And I'm very excited about the new blog! Happy 30th birthday (32 minutes early)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies-

    Megan, is it bad that I'm happy I made you cry? I'm glad my writing touched something in you, because lately my writing has been pretty passionate.

    Steph, I posted the actual ring on the other site. Yes, I will mention it again for fun. http://mydailyoutbox.wordpress.com.

    ReplyDelete

Reminder: The Administrator deletes messages that identify freetobeme350 :-)