Thursday, October 21, 2010

Quest #12: Storing Treasure in Heaven

I took some time today to talk to God. I was in the house alone. I sat down with my Bible and journal. I frantically word-vomited in my journal, with all my demands and complaints. Then I prayed for all the answers I wanted. And then I fell asleep. (Hey, God gives sleep to those he loves, Psalm 127:2)

When I woke up, my mind lazily wandered around the passages I was reading. I was less on a mission and more just there. Waiting. And my journaling was more introspective than accusatory. And my anxiety was lessened. And I will share with you now what I got from my quiet time.

You can't serve two masters. You hate one and love the other. Or you're devoted to one and despise the other. You can't serve both God and Money.

Sometimes I wonder, why won't God let me win the lottery? I would tithe right off the bat. I would use the money for building community centers and churches, and develop jobs for rural areas. I would be such a good steward of the money!

But then I'm faced with how I spend my money right now. I could begin to invest in some of these dreams now. But it's much harder, because the pot of money is so much smaller. Every dollar in the dream-bank is one less dollar in the me-bank. It's harder. It makes me invest a lot more. I want it to be EASY to serve God with my money. And it's easy to serve God with my money when I have lots of it.

Acknowledging it will be a constant struggle (like all my quests!), I want to focus more on storing treasure in heaven. For me, that means my decision-making process does not begin with, "How much will it cost/pay?" but with, "Is this something I was uniquely created to do?" My life has meaning when I remember I have a job to do.


border="0" alt="Hit Counters">


Web Site Hit Counters

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reminder: The Administrator deletes messages that identify freetobeme350 :-)