Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Quest #3: The 12 Days of Graduation

Seven years ago I got married. What do I remember from that day? While I have many good memories from May 18, 2003, I also remember being stressed, tired and exhausted. I was late the entire day, I forgot many things and had to frantically send friends to get flowers, earrings, etc., I was stressed about paying the DJ and about how much it would cost, then stressed if we tipped him enough, etc. etc. etc.

Here is what I want for May 30, 2010: I want to have fun! I want the teenager's open house to be a celebration that I participate in, and not an event I am working for everybody else's happiness. As several people have pointed out lately, planning the teenager's open house is very similar to planning an outdoor wedding at our home!

So my Quest is to learn how to cherish the moment - I am resolved to prepare for the next 11 days the best I can, and to then simply enjoy myself at the open house. This will involve an attitude adjustment. Instead of trying to please/impress/gain the approval of my guests, the motivation for the party is to celebrate the teenager's success individually, and the family's success as a whole. The teenager is my husband's younger brother, and we have been parenting him since 2005. He is a statistical miracle, and our Graduation Luau Party reflects how thankful we are that, by the grace of God, the teenager is a first-rate guy. He has overcome some enormous odds, and I need to keep this in mind when I begin to worry about what people will say if we run out of food...

Let the 12 days of Graduation commence!


border="0" alt="Hit Counters">


Web Site Hit Counters

4 comments:

  1. Awesome! That's what I wanted from my Pops Concert! I just wanted to enjoy it and not be nervous. I think my success was not only in my attitude, but also that I delegated tasks and made it clear to each of them what they were to do. I know myself, and when I am in a stressful situation, where decisions need to be made, I can never remember all the answers - so I also make meticulous notes and posted them in highly visible areas. :-) So when someone asked me a question, I told them to check the list! It was great! I know the graduation party will be great! Because you are awesome! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny...a big memory of that day for me was getting earrings and flowers, too! :)
    I was very honored that I got to be a part of your special day, though, even if we had to buy flowers from a grocery store because nothing else was open on a Sunday. :)
    Happy Belated anniversary, and looking forward to seeing you for a little bit next weekend!
    ~mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your experience in Clovia makes it perfectly normal to fret about running out of food but at the same time, you were in Clovia, you will NOT run out of food. Is strawberry fluff on the menu?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy belated anniversary! I woke up that morning thinking about it but the bulk of the day somehow escaped me. It wasn't until YOU called ME about this weekend and then AFTER we got off the phone that I remembered again. Haha. Almost as bad as the year I caught you watching wedding videos but still didn't put 2 and 2 together. :)

    ReplyDelete

Reminder: The Administrator deletes messages that identify freetobeme350 :-)