Friday, May 7, 2010

Quest #2: Punctuality

The source of conflict in so many of my relationships - my inability to be on time - will be the focus of Free To Be Me for the next 10 days.

To all those who get angry with me when I am late: you're right. It is SO rude and inconsiderate of your time. When I am late, I AM saying that my time is more important than your time. I DO need to leave habitual lateness in my twenties.

In an effort to be very efficient with my time, I simply don't allow myself enough of it. I underestimate how long it will take me to do things, and I never build in time for the unexpected. My perfectionist nature says I can do the impossible, but my husband, family and friends confront me with the truth (usually in the form of self-controlled silence as I give some lame-o excuse of why I'm late again). I feel rushed, anxious and defensive when I'm late. There are times when, despite my best efforts, God has another plan. And then there are times when I make choices that I know will make me late, but my desire for the immediate benefit (ten more minutes of sleep, ten more minutes with a friend, ten more minutes reading) eclipses the withdrawal of ten minutes to someone else.

For the next 10 days, I will wake up a minimum of one hour before I need to leave the house. I will go to sleep eight hours before I need to wake up. And I will physically be at appointments ten minutes prior to its start.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reminder: The Administrator deletes messages that identify freetobeme350 :-)