Saturday, May 1, 2010

Side Note: The Red Tent

I read The Red Tent today. My initial reaction is that I don't like the way the author cynically assumes the Bible whitewashes its contents,or that the Bible intentionally misleads its reader. The author perpetuates the theory of an unreliable, untruthful Bible - a theory I am strongly opposed to.

In Red Tent, the massacre to appease Dinah's good name was done in bad faith, and Dinah the heroine curses her family as a result. I enjoy a well-written, historical fiction; but I am skeptical when it pretends to "tell the inside story" of the Bible in such a way that it contradicts the truth of the Bible. I can't remember the title of the book, but a few years ago I read a historical nonfiction about the "inside story of Jesus," as told by Mary Magdalene, a Celtic healer who actually possessed the supernatural powers attributed to Jesus. That book repulsed me, as it credited Jesus' resurrection to her supernatural powers. I was so amazed at the blasphemy that I couldn't stop reading... and honestly, I wish I had, because when I read the gospels at times snippets of the book will enter my mind and tarnish the truth with an author's sexualized, occultish version of Jesus. I don't think the Red Tent rises to that level, but perhaps I am more lenient when literary license is taken with the Old Testament versus the foundation of my salvation.

The short review: If you believe the Bible is the inerrant word of God, you will have some problems with The Red Tent. At times, the creative new perspective is fun and refreshing, but for me it crossed the line when it went beyond filling in the holes of the Bible and began contradicting it. I am secure in my faith, but I have concern for the message of the Bible's incredibility continually reinforced by society. Reading this book gave me an almost jealous appreciation of the "red tent," or the three days every month when women got to hang out without men, and reminds me that God created women to take time out for intimacy with each other. But overall I am left with the sinking feeling that I gave this book my most valuable resource - my time - and in the end, I don't feel my life was improved. Maybe it was improved because of the thought it provoked. Or maybe I should have spent more time studying for my final on Tuesday.

All thoughts welcome.

6 comments:

  1. I probably won't be adding that one to my reading list. Thanks for the warning!

    P.S. Are you up yet? I've been biding the time to call you so as not to wake you up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm up. And thanks for being my first follower! I'm sure you character will have a major part in the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished The Red Tent last week. I had a really difficult time with the book. Found it interesting because of the time period, but I know that even though it's labeled as fiction, a lot of people are going to think that the people in the book are an accurate portrayal of the people in the Bible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How ironic that we both read it! I agree about the time period, and I suppose its kind of like Inglorious Bastard's portrayal of WWII as far as historical fiction goes. But like you said, when it comes to WWII people generally know and agree how that went down; whereas when it comes to the Bible critics eagerly consume any theory that contradicts an all-powerful, all-knowing God.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just read her new book, oddly enough about WWII. It was called Day After Night and was a slightly disturbing look at the treament of Jewish people at the end of the war. Enjoy! or perhaps not

    ReplyDelete
  6. Justkt - I am intrigued. I would want to know more about the "disturbing" part before I give her another chance :-)

    ReplyDelete

Reminder: The Administrator deletes messages that identify freetobeme350 :-)