Sunday, May 2, 2010

Day 5: Bloated Sheep

"Sheep, mere sheeeeep, easily dispersed if you strike the shepherd" - King Edward the Longshanks in Braveheart.

My dad has a general dislike of sheep. He thinks they are stupid. Any animal that eats itself to death is not worthy of his affection. As farm kids know, sheep will eat themselves to death when it comes to grain.

I fear I am in danger of losing my father's love.

You see, tonight I just about ate myself to death. Like a sheep let out in a bean field, I was at a dinner celebrating the kid's senior status. The meal was lasagna (excellent noodle consistency, distinct cheese filling), salad (sugared almonds, mandarin oranges and a fabulous dressing over lettuce), fruit salad (some kind of strawberry goodness mixed with just a little bit of jello and topped with a whipped cream layer) and garlic bread (big loaf, cut in half and smothered inside with garlic butter). Dessert was blueberry cobbler. I had a plate and was full.

Then Day 1 Me began baaing. Just a little bit more I thought as I creeped back into the kitchen. Did a little small talk as I stealthily spooned a "little" more salad onto my plate. And what's this? Daughter didn't finish her plate? I should take half her lasagna to reduce waste. And now that I have this additional lasagna, I really need another half of garlic bread... ooh and now I have to have a glass of milk and dessert...

Baaaaaaa. About five minutes later the food began expanding and suddenly I wanted to lie on the floor and die. So full. So stupid. So so stupid. I could barely talk after that, I just kept feeling like my "in-y" belly button was about to pop into an "outie."

I got home and instantly went on a walk with Mocha. I feel only minimally better, physically and emotionally. I can't even say I was following the lead of everyone else - I was the lone sheep wandering around in excess.

I must hold onto this pain, and use it in the future. This feeling is forever termed, the Bloated Sheep. And I HATE Bloated Sheep.

9 comments:

  1. I learn something new every day. Today's fun fact just happened to be that sheep eat themselves to death. I think there is a spirit of a sheep in everyone...iv been there before

    ReplyDelete
  2. Give me a call whenever you want to walk!! I am available at relatively weird times, so maybe we'll line up once in a while! :-) Ooo, we could make a "date", like every Sunday night?
    Let me know what you think! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Franklin, comments like yours is what keeps this blog going :-)

    Jen, it is always fun to walk with you! However, I am still trying to figure out what kind of exercise plan works for me... I am a little commitment shy, (It's not you, it's me), but let's not take it off the table yet...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun fact: Sheep can't get off their backs by themselves. So if they somehow get stuck that way, they'll die unless someone helps them roll over.

    There, Franklin. Now you learned something today too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eeek... as I sit here with my ankle in a brace... I'm even MORE like a sheep than I thought...

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Dad always said that the best sheep is one with four legs in the air ... i.e. he hates them just as much as your Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  7. When God says we are His sheep, He isn't being complimentary. Sheep are idiots.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now everytime I have a large plate of food in front of me I'm picturing a giant sheep about to blow up. Thanks for the imagery. It might help with the weight loss plan for me. Great writing my friend, great writing.

    ReplyDelete

Reminder: The Administrator deletes messages that identify freetobeme350 :-)