Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Quest #11: Paralyzed by Perfection

The events that prompted this analysis of perfection? I got a less-than-perfect score in class today, and I almost cried. Yesterday, I spent close to three hours revising and perfecting journal entries - past midnight! - when all reason said I should just hand them in. Last week, I was unable to do an hour of "light editing" as requested, and spent nine hours revising a paper. I have a problem.

I took this "Are you a Perfectionist" test. I scored an 83 out of 100. An 83 means I am "bound by the cuffs of perfectionism." I set impossibly high standards that can never be met, and I impose these expectations on myself and others. I believe others expect me to be perfect.

It's all true. I am a prisoner of perfection!

Another website provided suggestions to address my perfectionism:

Steps to Defeat Perfectionism with Excellence

1. Set a goal to rebalance or reprioritize your life and get someone to hold you accountable to changing. Freetobeme350.blogspot.com

2. Admit that you're imperfect and be honest with those you trust about your struggles and needs. I am imperfect!

3. Be balanced. You're a human being, not a human doing. There is more to life than what you can accomplish. Family, friends, and fun are important too.

4. Step out of the performance trap by separating personhood from performance. You (and others) are loveable and valuable for who you are, with your unique personality, gifts, dreams, feelings, experiences. Hold your head high and develop good self-esteem!

5. Don't "should" on yourself or others. Instead of making demands or unreasonable expectations on people and yourself take an attitude of "I would like to" "I'm going to work towards." "I'd appreciate it if you could"

6. Beginning is half done, so get started on realizing your goals. Don't let yourself procrastinate on your priority goals or you'll be moving towards failure.

7. Strive to do an excellent job at what is most important to you, remembering that excellent means "very good," not perfect.

8. When you're working on a project remember to enjoy the process.

9. When you do a good job feel proud of yourself. When someone compliments you say thank you.

10. Realize that no matter what your past failures and sins may be God loves you and offers his forgiveness to you through Jesus Christ. (Read John 3:16, Romans 8:1, and 1 John 1:9.)


border="0" alt="Hit Counters">


Web Site Hit Counters

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reminder: The Administrator deletes messages that identify freetobeme350 :-)