Sunday, October 17, 2010

Organizing the Chaos

When things are crazy, and I'm trying to make sense of life, I often begin by creating order in my surroundings. Due to my perfectionist tendencies, this activity consumes me and I am able to block out the rest of the world.



This weekend, I began Fall Break by de-cluttering the kitchen. I purchased drawer organizers and got rid of items that I had too many of, that I didn't use, or that I no longer needed. If anyone would like a never-been-used cappuccino machine (a wedding gift from SuperSaver; sorry SuperSaver, the idea of it is STILL so cool, but if I haven't used it yet...) a 9x11 pyrex (I'm thinking of you, PrayingMom!), or a Betty Crocker knife-block set (a hand-me-down from SuperDuper that has served me well) - let me know!

One item you will have to dumpster-dive to get is yet another wedding gift, the deep fat fryer. I was debating about the fate of the deep fat fryer and the bread machine. While these two items have immense practical use, I must admit to myself that neither has been used for the past year or two (or three?). I went outside and asked husband. We talked about the two appliances, and somehow we got onto the topic of whether the fryer had oil in it. I clearly remember him leaving the oil in. He clearly bet me a $1 he did not.



The photo clearly shows oil that has solidified into one nasty ooze. I can't remember the last time we used the deep fryer... long enough for vegetable oil to solidify... I paid Husband $1 to get rid of the disgusting oil receptacle.

I admit, there are some things that deserved to be thrown away that weren't. For example, I have a plastic container of "purgatory" items (excess pots and pans used for holiday cooking) and a box for my fondue party (An inventory revealed I have THREE fondue sets! I am giving myself one year to throw a fondue party or I have to get ride of two sets). Another self-imposed deadline is that I must make a loaf of bread with the bread machine before the year is over, or I have to get rid of the bread machine.

The sad part is that, while I still feel some sense of accomplishment, I also feel the stress coming back. That's the problem with blocking out the world! As soon as you stop to admire your work, the world starts to creep back into your head...


border="0" alt="Hit Counters">


Web Site Hit Counters

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reminder: The Administrator deletes messages that identify freetobeme350 :-)