Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Day 1

Thirty minutes of exercise was achieved today: instead of purchasing a golf cart, I purchased a push cart and drug my bag around the course (the pesky back issues prevent me from using my back-pack straps).

However, a text message from a friend calling me to DQ counteracted any calories burned: I only intended to eat half the small chocolate-covered-strawberry blizzard... but you know what happened.

BUT, I refuse to feel bad about eating a blizzard. Enjoying a DQ blizzard every once in a while is something I refuse to change about my life! Being healthy but denying oneself soft-serve mixed with candy and fruit is hardly an enjoyable life to look forward to.

So, I must accept that blizzards a non-negotiable part of my life. Ideas to try in the future to balance blizzardy goodness with my new, healthy lifestyle: order a blizzard but ask them to use half the ice cream (now I'm the weird order-er), order full blizzard and share, order a full blizzard and eat half and put the other half in the freezer (I've done this perhaps once in my life), order a full blizzard and immediately dump half of it out (but think of all the starving Ethiopians!), I only get a blizzard once per month and the rest of the time I eat small sundaes or cones...

Not sure what the best idea is. Open to suggestions.

As for eating only when I am hungry, and stopping when I am full... it is hard to break myself of the habits of 1) serving large portions of food that I historically have eaten, and 2) feeling I must eat everything I take. I should have had one fajita... but when I served myself, the small portion left in the tupperware looked so lonely, so sad... so I scooped the rest onto my plate and had two fajitas. And after the first fajita, I was content. And halfway through the second, I thought, I am full and I should stop eating. But I didn't.

I am realizing I have a clean-plate obsession. Is that something one can unlearn?

5 comments:

  1. Having about 5 month of real-world experience as a personal trainer, I believe that it is healthy to splurge once maybe every couple of weeks, it gives you something to look forward to. As far as clean-plate obsession goes, I just think that you have to be stronger than it, it is an inanimate object, once your full, store the rest for later. Better yet, ask your spouse or children if they want the rest...

    ReplyDelete
  2. RE: the friend who invited you to DQ ... duh, get a new friend! Just kidding. But I am somewhat thankful that my husband all but banishes unhealthy food from the house. Willpower is a non-issue if you are surrounded by flax seed, spinach and raw nuts.

    RE: becoming the weird order-er ... DQ is launching a new "Mini Blizzard" in August. It is about half the size of a small 12 oz. and will go for about $2. Cool huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How is that I find this DQ info from you and not the DQ employee living in my home? Excellent news! Today at Walmart I purchased a Ben & Jerry's mini cherry cheesecake, and a Skinny cow mini cherry cheesecake; and a Haagan Daz Dulce de leche, and a Skinny cow dulce de leche... I will let you know how the taste test goes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, try #2. First, I am SUPER EXCITED ABOUT THE MINI-BLIZZARD!! How fabulous!!

    Second - it is not a clean plate obsession, it is a club. My Dad is a lifetime member, thanks to his mother. I, however, turned in my membership when I left home (and my Dad's forced membership.) For years I would PURPOSELY leave food on my plate, just to prove to myself that I could do it! I have wasted food... OFTEN, at restaurants, etc, and I don't feel guilty about it, and neither should you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Jen. There's something worth trying... purposely leaving food on my plate. I'm going to add that to the current health plan!

    ReplyDelete

Reminder: The Administrator deletes messages that identify freetobeme350 :-)