Sunday, September 12, 2010

Hoarders...

Husband and I began watching Hoarders on Netflix. He fresh off of a weekend at the auction, me having made no progress on the Scary Room. We both felt a little uncomfortable by some of the themes we heard.

"Hoarders think everything has emotional attachment..."
"Hoarders get worse with time..."
"Hoarders might obsessively search for hours for small things..."

We exchanged a few nervous glances as one episode featured a wife that buys things and a husband that hoards (that would be us, reversed). We began looking at the Scary Room, and husband's counterpart, The Shop, in a new light. I didn't have much time to dedicate to the Scary Room this weekend, but I did pick up the rest of the house for the first time this month, and threw a lot of stuff in an effort to ward off a hoarder's future. I recommend watching an episode or two - if you have a scary room, or a scary basement, you might also feel motivated to address it before it gets out of hand!

2 comments:

  1. THANK YOU!!! THIS IS WHAT I'VE BEEN TRYING TO TELL YOU!! I'm so glad you have seen the light! :-) I personally can't watch "Hoarders", it makes me nervous and anxious! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once you've seen 3 episodes of hoarders, you've pretty much seen them all:

    1) Hoarding animal lover whose animals must be euthanized while countless dead cats are removed with the piles of trash.

    2) Hoarding Mom/Dad who has to clean up or the kids are going to protective services.

    3) Hoarding Mom/Dad whose kids are traumatized by their childhood must come back to help clean up before house is condemned.

    I don't like to watch it anymore, but it IS a good motivator to tackle any scary rooms!

    ReplyDelete

Reminder: The Administrator deletes messages that identify freetobeme350 :-)