Saturday, September 11, 2010

Volleyball Dragon

Today I was a spectator at a local volleyball tournament. I have developed relationships with many of the players and parents, but today I want to introduce you to a special girl, VolleyballDragon, or VBDragon for short.

VBDragon came into my life six years ago. As the new varsity coach, I invited incoming 7-9 graders to my summer camp, and only three showed up. She was one of them, a quiet seventh grader with natural athletic ability.

The next year, as an eighth grader, she was moved up to Varsity. Her passing skills were amazing. She wasn't quite tall enough to hit, so she set, played back row, and served. I remember encouraging her to develop her jump serve. It was almost unheard of at that time - nobody in the conference jump served. She wanted to hit, but her vertical needed to improve. I don't know how many times I told her to go home and jump rope!

VBDragon committed herself to becoming the best player she could be. She went to countless camps, played Junior Olympic Volleyball, and did summer league. I left the program, but always kept an eye on her, curious to see where God was taking this young lady.

At today's tournament, I was so proud of VBDRagon. She was a leader on the floor, helping her teammates. Her jump serve is vicious, and her outside attack amazing. I was jealous of her aggressive confidence: the deciding third game score was 16-16, with a 17 point cap and rally scoring, and she jump served like they had nothing to loose. When I asked her about it later, she said "I knew I could do it. They were going down!"

VBDragon, I am blessed to have you in my life! You remind me how much growth is possible when you are passionate and committed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reminder: The Administrator deletes messages that identify freetobeme350 :-)