Sunday, September 26, 2010

Stress

Third time around. I see the cycle.

Law school always starts off well enough. And slowly it builds. Until you reach the point where you are treading water all week - scrambling to get assignments done minutes before class, rushing off to complete deadlines, consistently dreading the sound of the alarm clock in the morning. You think, I just need to make it to the weekend and all will be better.

But alas, all is not better! I did some careful planning Friday night. I had six hours of work to do over the weekend; I calculated I would do three hours on Saturday and three on Sunday. I also needed to get my laundry done.

It is 11:32 p.m. My laundry is not done, and I have done five hours of work, but only gotten half of my list done.

In my defense, a funny thing happened Friday night. At 2 a.m. I was in a half-sleep as I heard Mocha whining, and my husband telling her to just get on the bed. (She needs a lot of affirmation, so she whines until you say ten times it's OK for her to jump on the bed). The next morning, around 8 a.m., husband goes to the basement and realizes what all the fuss was about - Mocha had heard something was terribly wrong and was trying to inform us that the water softener freaked out and blew a water line, so water was spraying all over the basement.

So Husband cuts the water to the house until he figures out how to reattach the line. When he gets everything flowing again, he realizes that the washing machine has crud in it, so we run it empty twice in an effort to rid ourselves of the sludge. We both do a couple of loads.

But, when I put in my load of nice work clothes, what happens? Oh yes. Sludge. All. Over. I didn't cry... but I wanted to.

In the end, I ran the load again, which helped a little, and shook things out before throwing them in the dryer, which helped a little more. By the time things came out of the dryer, they were overall alright. But this put a definite damper on laundry this weekend.

Regarding my list of work, well - that is a whole other story. Has to do with my OCD tendencies that everything be perfect. I deal with overwhelming situations by working slower than normal, making sure each step is perfect. If I could limit this OCD to my work product, that would be one thing... but I may have had a slight "discussion" with Husband about leaving the butter dish out on the kitchen counter. (I mean, who can work in an environment of such conditions? Butter dishes, just lying around?)

What is the solution to the cycle? Perhaps reflection through blogging. In past years, I tend to go off the deep end, cry a lot, indulge in over-eating, over-drinking and other excess, and wallow in my terrible, stressful life. I have high hopes that this year will be different.

The last point to this really long blog? Daughter came home today. She was about the happiest, most joyful person EVER. Her dinner prayer was basically sung: "THANK YOU FOR SEEING MY BROTHER TODAY, FOR BEING HOME TODAY, I MISSED MY MOM AND BROTHER, I LOVE THEM, AND MOCHA...AMEN!!!" Yes, even my stress is no match for that kind of dinner prayer. Good work daughter.


border="0" alt="Hit Counters">


Web Site Hit Counters

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reminder: The Administrator deletes messages that identify freetobeme350 :-)