Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Beginning of the End

On Monday night, Teenager and I packed the car up and prepared to drive away. Husband looked at Teenager first.

"Work hard this semester," he said to Teenager solemnly. "Don't procrastinate."

Then he turned to me.

"You just need to pass," he said with equal weight. "Don't freak out."

And with that, a procrastinator and a perfectionist drove to the cities - he to his second semester of Freshman year, I to my last semester of law school.

And so it began. Tuesday morning, despite being a mere five miles away, I was somehow STILL late to journal meeting! Plan A was to leave at 7 a.m. for my 8 a.m. meeting, just to be extra on-time. But after three snooze bars, 7:30 seemed safe. So at 7:45 when I finally actually drove out of the driveway, I consoled myself that 15 minutes was more than enough time to cover five miles.

Unless you're behind a school bus. And an accident on the freeway. Etc. Etc. Ironically, when I reported late, I was asked if it was because of the intense traffic in the northern suburbs... evil me wanted to lie so badly, but good me overcame and told the truth: I was a mere five miles away and was still fifteen minutes late. It seems distance isn't entirely to blame for my habitual lateness... it may be that I am the common denominator here... that the problem lies within ME...

Although I was late for my first day of school, the day was still salvageable. A high point was having a fantabulous dinner with Classy. Classy is a law school classmate who, despite being almost half a decade younger, intimidates me a little. She carries herself with a poise that I aspire to achieve, and despite being pretty liberal on my political spectrum, we (somehow!) get along :-) It was a great way to end the first day of the last semester of law school - having a dinner that I've been meaning to schedule since the very first semester of law school.


border="0" alt="Hit Counters">


Web Site Hit Counters

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reminder: The Administrator deletes messages that identify freetobeme350 :-)