Monday, January 10, 2011

Seventeen

Daughter is seventeen. Strawberry Shortcake has been replaced by Justin Bieber and the blond twins from Suite Life on Deck. Slowly, the rest of the family is adjusting to the young woman in our midst.

Today at church, we were ready to leave and looking for Daughter. I spotted her and walked towards her. She smiled at me as I approached, and said Hi, but kept trying to look at something behind me. I thought we were walking together, but I turned around a moment later and she was gone. Turns out she was getting up the courage to go say Hi to a boy. With all the awkwardness of teenage-girl-hormones, she walked up, said "HI!" and before he could even really respond, she ran away.

Like good brothers, as soon as Husband or Teenager find out Daughter has a crush, they inform Daughter they are going to beat him up. Oftentimes, punching one's hand is involved for dramatic effect. Like a modern-day Juliet, Daughter squeals "NO!" in horror, and declares they are only friends in a lovely attempt to save her crush from uncertain torture.

As for me, I'm getting more comfortable with the idea that daughter is a boy-crazy girl. It's been a journey, one that began in utter and total denial. I was afraid she wouldn't be able to control herself, and would do weird things like stare at the object of her affection, or attempt to hug/touch him at inappropriate times, or do other acts of love that might embarrass him.

You know, things that I did when I was a teenager.

Watching Daughter today made me laugh. Who can't relate to that moment of gathering up the courage to exchange a general greeting with that special someone? And then running away as soon as the deed is done? As time goes on, I'm learning Daughter is more like you and me than we ever realized!


border="0" alt="Hit Counters">


Web Site Hit Counters

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reminder: The Administrator deletes messages that identify freetobeme350 :-)