Sunday, January 2, 2011

Me To.

The Teenager has this wonderful habit of being grammatically incorrect in his online communications. AKA Facebook. Every time I see him write "me to" I cringe, and a tiny part of me dies. Tonight was the intervention.

The family saw Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Excellent Movie!) and then went to dinner. As we waited for our dessert, I quizzed him on how to spell the homonyms to, too, and two in context. I would give him a sentence (I and these two are coming along. I'm coming too. Where to next?) and asked him the correct spelling. He passed with flying colors. But when I broached the subject of stating "me to" on Facebook, he countered by saying that nobody notices or cares.

"Why is it such a big deal to you?" He asked. "People don't read that and automatically think I'm an idiot."

"I'm sure it crosses their minds." I replied. "Let's take a poll."

So we are in the process of a Facebook poll. Over the past three hours, 25 people have "voted" for me, that replacing "too" with "to" bugs them a little. The Teenager has garnered one vote, that it does not annoy them or they don't notice. (To add insult to injury, when I made a friendly jab on his facebook page, his response was "Quite" instead of "Quiet." Poor Teenager)

This was one of those moment when I thought I would feel really good after I won the argument. I had solid proof that I was right. The Teenager functionally conceded when he said he should probably start being more careful with his online grammar. And yet, I don't feel so great. I shouldn't be surprised; interventions have a traumatic effect on everyone involved.

I expressed to the Teenager that I didn't actually feel so great about winning the argument. "Really!" He said with surprise. "I would have."

Humph. Well, I guess I don't feel so bad after all!


border="0" alt="Hit Counters">


Web Site Hit Counters

3 comments:

  1. I recognize that there is a difference between a typo and a grammatical error. Having said that:

    "(Excellent Movie!)" (No need to capitalize either word.)

    ""Why is it such a big deal to you?" He asked." (The H in He should be lower case.)

    "This was one of those moment when" (Moment should be plural. This is a typo and not deliberately failing on your part, like the previous two, but I still felt you should be aware.)

    "I'm sure it crosses their minds." I replied. (The period after 'minds' should be a comma."

    Your friend in Christ,
    Craigy
    (John 8:7)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, careful grammar seems to be a thing of the past. The teenager, as well as millions of others, should realize that what is posted on-line is going to exist in a virtual forever. Future employers, co-workers, potential spouses, and even an arch nemesis or two could easily search him out on-line and recoil in horror at his poor grammar. Grammar rocks, 'nuf said!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quite Craigy. You've missed the point. Although you are accurate, as I just scoured the CMS Manual I happen to have here at my home. In another sense, you've also strengthened my point: like a normal human being, I feel embarrassed at all my grammatical mistakes, as opposed to Teenager, who believed nobody noticed.

    And for those of you too lazy to look up John 8:7: John 8:7 (New International Version, ©2010) "When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, “Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.” "

    Well played, Craigy, well played. (Is Teenager paying you?)

    AND - Thank you KT! May your nuts avoid the errors of my Teenager!

    ReplyDelete

Reminder: The Administrator deletes messages that identify freetobeme350 :-)