Thursday, January 13, 2011

How many sit-ups can YOU do in a minute?

One of daughter's goals at school, related to her physical fitness, is to be able to complete 28 sit-ups in one minute. A few years ago, daughter and her afterschool caretaker, Aleeeesah (Alee for short), were sit-up fiends. Alee went drill-sergeant on the girl, worthy of her own abs of steel workout video.

The combination of Alee leaving for college (tear!) and daughter developing a more womanly body caused a noticeable decline in her sit-up abilities. In an attempt to get her numbers back up, daughter is on a new sit-up plan with SpahrMom. I was a bit skeptical when SpahrMom reported daughter can only do six sit-ups in a row.

In an evil mom-move, Husband, Teenager and I entrapped her. As sweet as honey, I asked daughter to show Teenager and Husband and I how well she could do sit-ups! I told her we were going to time her, and even video-tape her with her phone (as proof for SpahrMom :-). In an amazing feat of strength, Daughter did 20 sit-ups in a minute.

We all congratulated her (just before we gave her the stern speech of working hard ALL the time). Then, without thinking, I said to Daughter, "Keep working hard. Maybe you can get to 30 sit-ups in a minute. I don't think anyone in this room can do 30 sit-ups in a minute."

As soon as Daughter left, Husband and Teenager howled with indignation. I tried to correct myself, that I meant it would be hard, but they wouldn't let it go. Apparently there is a big discrepancy between something being a challenge and something being impossible. So we had our own mini sit-up competition.

I was amazed at the pain that set in at about 12. I now entirely empathize with Daughter, who pushed through to her 20. Despite Husband's encouragement, I just couldn't make myself finish. I laid there on the ground, laughing and crying intermittently, for the longest and shortest minute of my life.

Teenager finished with 36, Husband did 30 in 53 seconds (he quit after he hit the goal), and I did a whopping 26. Apparently I need some Alee just as much as Daughter!


border="0" alt="Hit Counters">


Web Site Hit Counters

3 comments:

  1. Omigoodness! :D You just made my day! It brings me happiness to know that Daughter is still doing sit-ups :) Aww I miss those days...Tell the family I miss them. And don't be too hard on yourself, Mother! If things get too bad, Alee can swing by Small Town and channel her inner drill sergeant for you! lol!
    Love,
    Alee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are all really high numbers! I know for a fact that I could do one. Sit. Up. If your next post is about chin ups, I will go into a corner and cry into some Ben and Jerrys. :) I still remember doing sit ups, chin ups, and this weird stretching over a box that was measured back in gym class. Everyone watched as each kid did these activities one at a time. It was horrifying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darn you and your stupid challenge!

    And I can do 34 pain-filled sit-ups in a minute.

    ReplyDelete

Reminder: The Administrator deletes messages that identify freetobeme350 :-)