Wednesday, February 16, 2011

My Morning Commute

This morning, in an effort to not pay $19 to park downtown, I left the Spare Room at 7:29 a.m. A record for me.

As I drove along, I eventually encountered a stoplight. As I stepped on the brake, the car started to skid on some black ice. Luckily I wasn't going very fast, and therefore wasn't in any imminent danger of rear-ending someone. I stopped, and then heard behind me "KKKKkkkkisssh!!!!" - the sound of the car behind me hitting the snowy embankment on the right-hand shoulder. I looked in my rearview mirror and saw the grew sedan with only one wheel on the road and the rest of the car high on the snowbank.

I had a short moral battle of whether to turn around or not - I mean, it was their fault for tailgating me, right? But then I thought of all the times (some more recently then others) that I had been stuck in a snowbank. I adjusted my route and returned to the scene. It turns out the driver was a young girl, either a senior in high school or a young college girl, and she had already called for help to get her off the embankment. She admitted she just didn't slow down in time, and she didn't realize it was icy (now where have I heard that before?). She seemed surprised that I stopped, and thanked me. I wanted to say something like, "Oh, I know how it feels to be stuck in a snowbank," but thought better of it, smiled, and walked back to my car.

And yes, I still made it to work on time!


border="0" alt="Hit Counters">


Web Site Hit Counters

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reminder: The Administrator deletes messages that identify freetobeme350 :-)