Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Beep.

BEEP BEEP BEEP!

That is the sound I awoke to this morning. Often, I hit the snooze and hear it again nine minute later. Sometimes I get up after hitting snooze but forget to turn off the alarm, and while in the bathroom I suddenly hear the BEEP BEEP BEEP! vibrating through the house. Even though husband is already at work and daughter is already up, I am stressed by the repetitive loud noise. I find myself running through the house to stop the beeping.

Or the oven. When I set the oven time, and the pizza is done, the alarm makes me rush to the kitchen. BEEP BEEP BEEP! I respond.

But not the car beep. You know, the beeping the car makes when you aren't wearing your seatbelt. I grew up in the '80's, when wearing your seatbelt was only recommended. Yes seatbelts save lives, blah blah blah. But you know what? I didn't set that alarm. My alarm clock or the oven timer - hey, I set those timers. I requested them. But I did NOT request that my car beep at me when I'm not wearing my seatbelt. And I resent being told what to do by my car.

I didn't realize how bad it gotten until today. I drove husband to the shop to pick up Charlotte, the little blue-green golf. I didn't buckle up, because the shop is a mile away. BEEP BEEP BEEP.

Husband, thinking the car is mad at him as the passenger, buckles up.

BEEP BEEP BEEP.

BEEP BEEP BEEP.

BEEP BEEP BEEP.

Husband looks at me and says, "You are so stubborn."

BEEP BEEP BEEP.

I just smile. I'm not an idiot; when I drive to the cities on the freeway I buckle up. But not because the CAR tells me to. Because I Choose to. So, when I drive in town, I assert my independence a bit. I don't buckle up all the time. I have to let the car know who's boss.

You can beep all you want car. I don't give a BEEP.


border="0" alt="Hit Counters">


Web Site Hit Counters

1 comment:

  1. http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=883011. Box. While turning into their DRIVEWAY. :)

    ReplyDelete

Reminder: The Administrator deletes messages that identify freetobeme350 :-)