Tuesday, November 9, 2010

My Plans and God's (Unknown) Purpose

I got cocky.

Law school registration occurs online, and begins at 8 a.m. on a given day. As a 1L registering for the Fall of my 2L year, I remember driving to school early. I was in the computer lab by 7:30 a.m. I would check, and recheck, the class ID numbers. I practiced typing them quickly, yet accurately, on the keyboard. I did some deep breathing.

At 7:58 a.m., I would begin hitting the "refresh" button on the web-entry page of registration, so that at exactly 8 a.m. I would be entered into the system. At that time, I would systematically enter in my most prized class and hit the register button, then move to my second most prized class, and so on. Generally speaking, it went well for me. I don't remember having any major upsets.

This year, I've been planning for days whether to take Negotiations or Advanced Trial Advocacy. I knew I wanted to take Criminal Practice. I added Domestic Violence to my list to round out my credits. I was confident.

I got my computer set up at home, and around 7:55 began reading some email. I was downloading a .pdf file when I noticed that the news had come on... I looked on TV and the clock said 8:02. That can't be right...

BUT IT WAS. OH MY WORD I AM LATE.

And then, to my horror, the .pdf file FROZE MY COMPUTER. I sat in agony, frozen with fear, as my computer slowly worked through the .pdf file. In a panic, I didn't register for classes one by one, I entered all four in and pushed register.

I got into Domestic Violence.

That's it! That's all I got! The class I didn't even really want!

Shell-shocked, I stared at my computer. All my planning, and worrying, about what classes to take became worthless. In the blink of an eye, my plans were sunk.

Proverbs 19:21 "Many are the plans in a person's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails."

What's the purpose here God? Are you telling me that it's dumb to plan because You're going to rearrange my plans anyways? Did someone else really need those classes? Or do I really need a different set of classes, I just don't know it yet?


border="0" alt="Hit Counters">


Web Site Hit Counters

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reminder: The Administrator deletes messages that identify freetobeme350 :-)