Saturday, November 13, 2010

Living Vicariously Through Children

This Friday Hol-dog and I went on our annual trip to the state high school volleyball tournament. We arrived in time for the semifinals in the single-A division - it was so much fun to watch the high level of play! The play of the day for me was when Mayer Lutheran had three hitters swinging in such rapid succession that it took everyone's breath away - it wasn't until after the kill that my brain caught up with my eyes and it registered which girl actually hit the ball.

Hol-Dog and I met a fun fan in the stands. Turns out she used to run the Gopher Ball Girl program! She was telling us about how the program works, how Gopher volleyball players are matched with young girls, and how much fun the young girls have. Ever the planner, I asked her how old the kids had to be. She laughed and asked me how old my girl was. Amidst much laughter I confessed, "Oh, she isn't born yet."

I'm crossing my fingers that, when I do have children, I'll be blessed with a child with husband's height (6'4") and my aggressive personality. Hol-dog and I suspect I will have a child with my height (5'6") and his laid-back personality. Our new fan friend asked, Well what if you don't have girls?

Oh, I'll have a girl. Eventually. I might have a football team first, but I WILL have a girl... and I will love her no matter what activities she participates in (there is therapy for that, right?).

On a related note, the teenager is competing in my undergrad sorority's sweetheart week! Yes, I am resisting the urge to spend my week on campus campaigning for him. Yes, I am giddy with excitement. Yes, the first thing we talked about when I got home was his campaign strategy. Coronation is Friday night...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reminder: The Administrator deletes messages that identify freetobeme350 :-)