Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The First Day of Christmas: The Annual Christmas Tragedy

This is my fifth Christmas as The Mom. You know, the director of great Christmas memories. Prior to being a mom, I thought Christmas was a magical, wonderful day. After my first Christmas as a mom, working tirelessly and perhaps frantically to make sure the children had THE BEST CHRISTMAS EVER, I called my mom crying. Perhaps it was all the stress, or post-present depression, or whatever, but my mom told me that she, too, remembered having a good cry near Christmas as a young mom.

This year, I shopped early. I delegrated wrapping to husband. We decided we would have "Christmas Eve" tonight, and "Christmas" tomorrow, and then go to the farm. Perfect Christmas 2010 would start with dinner at 5 p.m. and then the Christmas Eve-eve-eve service at church at 7:30 p.m. Perhaps a light snow fall.

The Tragedy began with me getting out of work late. Husband made Swedish meatballs, and was running behind as well. The family ate dinner in shifts. At 7 p.m., we all began looking for a missing movie to loan to a friend, but at 7:20 we all gave up. The family drove to church and was met with a full parking lot. Oh well - we made it.

As we walked in, it was apparent (as usual), that we were late. Everyone else was already seated and the pastor had begun his sermon, but people turned and smiled when they saw us. There weren't four seats together, so I ended up sitting "alone" without my family. As I sat in my seat, still for the first time all day, I prepared for the Lord to send me a Christmas Realization.

And I got one. I realized the service had started at 7:00 p.m.

2010. The year we crashed the Christmas Eve-eve-eve Service.


border="0" alt="Hit Counters">


Web Site Hit Counters

1 comment:

  1. Don't feel bad,as a kid I thought
    christmas was the most awesome thing ever,but now that I'm a mom I think it's alittle bit of a drag.

    ReplyDelete

Reminder: The Administrator deletes messages that identify freetobeme350 :-)