Thursday, December 2, 2010

Inconsolable and Inflexible

I'm not flexible.

Mocha tried to tell me. As I left the house, she looked at my suit hanging in the entryway closet, and looked back at me. I walked away and into the car and drove 70 miles to the cities.

I hopped out of my car and my cell phone fell to the ground. I swore. A super sweet and perky classmate comes around my car, having also just parked, and chattered away about her AWESOME DAY. I open my backseat door and realized what Mocha had known all along. I think I swore again.

AwesomeDayGirl did her best to console bitter me as we walked from the parking ramp to school. But stress makes me inflexible and inconsolable. We met a friend, dressed in a suit, who was walking to the ramp. She said Hi, how are you?

I took this as an open invitation and ranted (while continuing on my way, yelling over my shoulder) that "I LEFT MY SUIT AT HOME AND IT MAKES ME MAD." I walked a few more steps and then added "MERRY CHRISTMAS." Evidencing I still have common decency, I began to feel a little bad for AwesomeDayGirl, who WAS having an awesome day until she ran into Debbie Downer. I apologized for not being able to get over it. We parted ways.

I went to the elevator. I rode up with another classmate. I had her trapped in a small, enclosed space so she was my "captive" audience. She laughed nervously at my rant. Ironically, we ran into AwesomeDayGirl again (being that she was having an awesome day, she must have taken the stairs), and I apologized to her a second time that I apparently still hadn't gotten over it.

Then, before class started, I shared the story about three more times to several different groups of people. AwesomeDayGirl sits two rows up and two seats over, so I'm sure she wanted to throw her laptop at me. I apologized again. When I'm tired and stressed, I apologize. A LOT.

Since I have a work party in a few hours, and another formal lunch engagement tomorrow, I need to go downtown after class and buy a suit. SIGH! But I think I am finally getting over it. Hopefully I haven't totally ruined AwesomeDayGirl's afternoon! (Sorry)

2 comments:

  1. Free,

    I apologize for overloading you with my at-times overly optimistic outlook on life. (Unless you found it helpful, in which case you're very welcome!)

    Enjoy that you are now completely justified to have an impromptu shopping spree and have a fabulous time at your xmas party tonight!

    ~ AwesomeDayGirl

    ReplyDelete
  2. AwesomeDayGirl, you certainly should not be apologizing for having an optimistic outlook on life! Any ranting was entirely directed at my stupidity. When my stupidity was contrasted with your fabulous, well-thought-out day, I may have wanted to jump off the parking ramp. But you were right, going shopping was very fun! I hope your day turned out truly Awesome, despite our run-in.

    ReplyDelete

Reminder: The Administrator deletes messages that identify freetobeme350 :-)