Tuesday, December 14, 2010

My Perfect Nativity



While in Europe this past summer, I was on the lookout for a nativity set. If you asked me to describe what I was looking for, I would have said I wanted a wooden set, nothing too artsy or too cutesy, but with all the main characters: Mary, Joseph, some wisemen, a shepherd, some animals... oh and baby Jesus. Basically, I would know it when I saw it.

When I saw this nativity set, I knew it must be mine. For the most part, it was everything I ever wanted... plus Eeyore. For whatever reason, three solemn wise men, a somber shepherd and his solitary sheep, and reverent Mary and Joseph with sleeping baby Jesus were joined by cartoon-donkey Eeyore.

I can hear him now. "Pathetic. Jesus, the Savior of the World, born in a manger. We couldn't even get him a room in that second-rate motel. Pathetic." And Baby Jesus simply laughs at the silly donkey who worries about everything and perhaps tugs on one of his prominent ears. And Eeyore, despite his whining, has to smile.

Maybe the new nativity-painter's last job was working at Euro Disney, and on his first day painting he didn't realize the donkey was supposed to be less, er, surprised. Whatever the reason, I love my nativity and my little Eeyore!


border="0" alt="Hit Counters">


Web Site Hit Counters

2 comments:

  1. That wise man should have considered using sunscreen. Or perhaps he's a misplaced Biblical character and is actually part of the "Been Wandering Around the Desert for 40 Years" scene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally, I like the Shepherd's hat. No flowing headdress for him!

    ReplyDelete

Reminder: The Administrator deletes messages that identify freetobeme350 :-)