Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Calming the Storm

As if it's not bad enough that I am writing a paper over Spring Break (pages completed: 1.5) while LawLady, THH & Casanova are in Florida, a winter storm just blew in to mock this new season typically called "Spring."

This evening, Choirfriend and I drove down to the cities to drop off her dad, sister-in-law, and niece at a hotel near the airport. They were supposed to fly out tomorrow morning, but due to the impending winter storm we decided we should drive them down tonight instead. The last thing Choirfriend's dad said to me was, "Drive Safe," while looking deep into my eyes, as if to say, "You have the most precious cargo in this vehicle - DON'T SCREW UP." Eek! No pressure...

The trip home was treacherous. Choirfriend and I left the hotel around 8:45 p.m., and got home about 11 p.m. Thirty miles per hour, sometimes forty... four wheel drive... lots of cars in the ditch... Eventually, we made it home, safe and sound. As we drove into the driveway, we confessed to each other that, while we tried to maintain a calm demeanor while on the road, we were both SCARED out of our MINDS!

Today's Lent reading was Luke 8:22-25, where Jesus calmed the storm. This morning, in the comfort of my living room, it was easy to despise the disciples for their lack of faith. But after driving in a car for over two hours, white knuckled and intent on identifying the road when blowing snow erased all signs, it is easier to relate to their fear of the storm.

Imagine not having the car as a protective shield. Imagine having to navigate home without periodic street lamps or even roads. Consider how scary it was when I couldn't see anything except the white sheet of snow illuminated by my headlights, and then remember the disciples were on a boat in the middle of a storm. They were bombarded by the elements in darkness.

Where is my faith? Do I only feel safe in optimal weather conditions while driving a large SUV? Would I feel less safe in a blizzard while driving a small compact car? If so, does that mean my faith is in the environment around me, and the physical size and power of my vehicle? In theory, if my faith is in Christ, doesn't that mean my feelings of security should be independent of the environment around me?

Regardless, I'm thankful God got us home safely.


border="0" alt="Hit Counters">


Web Site Hit Counters

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reminder: The Administrator deletes messages that identify freetobeme350 :-)