Saturday, March 19, 2011

St. Patrick's Day

Uttering an explicative before 8 a.m. twice in one week is kind of impressive, even for me. The first occurred on Monday. The second occurred Thursday morning, the result of my half-hearted attempt to be a good mom.

I set my alarm for 7 a.m. It's been a long week, so I wasn't very awake. I stumbled to the couch after making a visual confirmation that Daughter was up and eating breakfast. I was joined by the teenager, who laid on the other couch. Eventually Daughter walked in, ready for school.

I suddenly realized it was St. Patrick's Day! I asked Daughter if she was wearing anything green. Nope. So I told her to run upstairs and grab her green sweatshirt so she wouldn't get pinched. Teenager mumbled something about how he wasn't going to drive her in to school if she missed the bus. I ignored him and laid back down on the couch.

I started thinking about Inspector Gadget, and what an interesting cartoon it was, when suddenly the Teenager breaks into my dreamy stupor, "[Daughter], hurry up, the bus is here!" Suddenly I, too, can hear the rumbling of the bus outside our house...

I spring blindly off the couch, drop an explicative as I realize the bus is here and Daughter is not, and frantically run towards the stairs yelling for Daughter-who, providentially, is just walking into the room. I shove her outside the door, joyous that she made the bus and horrified by my major mom fail of falling asleep on the job. You know you're in a bad state when the Teenager is more awake at 7:30 a.m. then you are!

The reading for Day 9 of Lent was John 2:1-12. My take-away was Jesus' compassion that overrode his schedule. He said to his mother, "My time has not yet come," but then he goes on to perform the miracle. I wonder if Jesus, like me, had a human desire for a schedule, but in his perfection he sacrificed that human desire for organization to fulfill his calling to minister in the chaos around him. Right now, in my busy busy busy days, I need to follow that example and remember that compassion and love can't be confined to pre-scheduled appointments.


border="0" alt="Hit Counters">


Web Site Hit Counters

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reminder: The Administrator deletes messages that identify freetobeme350 :-)