Saturday, June 12, 2010

Day 2: The Depression




"Husband, I am going to throw away these Christmas cards."
"Have they ever been used?
"No..."
"Can't you just use them this year?"
"Husband, this is why we have so much stuff! I need you to be supportive of me and affirm me since I am trying to get rid of some of our crap!"
Honey, you married a much older man. Its like I lived through the Depression. Those cards still have use."

Sigh! A call to ChoirFriend, who will be called CleanSweepCoach for the next few days, produced the advice that, if I think I will use them this Christmas, store the card with my Christmas stuff. So I went through the pile and threw away some silver foil stuff I was into a few years ago, kept the cute reindeer ones, and continued on my quest.

CleanSweepCoach came over and helped me see some of the errors in my ways. I had always thought I was a relatively organized person, and when I read in organizing books about people who kept re-buying things because they couldn't find the initial product, I assumed that was someone else.

But the look in Coach's eyes as she took in my ice cream pail, shoe box and two cups filled with writing utensils, or my dozens of three ring binders (I'm afraid to tell her of the boxes of binders in the garage... I'm also afraid to show her the large box of office supplies hidden under the guest bed that was born in a U of M dorm room back in '99) -- well, let's just say I realized I wasn't nearly as organized as I thought.

On another depressing note, I am throwing myself into my project here in an effort to relieve some of my emotion related to my Grandma's current state of poor physical health. I found some notecards she gave me and yeah, I shed a few tears. As a reward for my hard work today, and because I eat my feelings, Coach and I made a DQ stop :-) Somehow, tears always taste better with DQ soft serve...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reminder: The Administrator deletes messages that identify freetobeme350 :-)