Thursday, June 17, 2010

Day 7: Rough Day



The day started off with a ticket. A $108 ticket for not displaying my tabs. As you can see, the officer HAD to see my tabs through my windshield when he gave me a ticket! I took this picture as proof.

I'm a lawyer-in-training. I was not about to let this stand. I went to the court house, took my number, and sat down to wait. This is not the first time I've done this; once, in undergrad, I got two parking tickets in the same day. The short story is that I was too close to a fire hydrant, and I had a miscommunication with the property office about which lot we could park in for free. It happened the first month in my first apartment the summer after Freshman year. I had about $70 to my name. I was in tears as I explained to the officer that I had no money, this was my first summer in the big city, etc. etc. I still remember that poor man, watching me cry. With a big sigh he said, "How much can you pay?" I think I paid $40.

This time around, I am blessed to have more than $70 to my name. Just like the first time, I told the truth with passion.

Me: "Sir, I'm here because I got a ticket for not displaying my tabs, but they were clearly displayed through my windshield."

Hearing Officer: "Is there a good reason why you don't have the tabs on your plates?"

Me: "No. None that are directly relevant."

HO: "I can appreciate that."

Now, in case you think I'm above playing the "kid" card, I did manage to throw that in as I was explaining that things have been really busy... you know, since purchasing them on April 13... because they expired the last day of February...

He cut it down to to $54. Procrastination cost me $3.60 each week. About $.50 per day. For less then a cup of coffee each day, you too can procrastinate like a pro...

And related to the quest, my family did run down to the basement for a few minutes while the worst of the storms went through (tornado sighted southeast of town). My thought? How furious I would be if all the crap in the dumpster got mixed back in with all my stuff in the SCARY ROOM if a tornado went through...

4 comments:

  1. Your tabs expired in FEBRUARY and you've been displaying them in your window since April? I think your hearing officer was very generous. I would have doubled the fine for arguing! Lawyers. Hmph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clarification: I am laughing. But some of your shenanigans really baffle me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I didn't argue! I said I had no good reason! What more do you want from me? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Reminder: The Administrator deletes messages that identify freetobeme350 :-)