Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Day 9: My Penelope

As the Daughter Dare winds down, I've become more aware of daughter's needs. I've been listening more, observing more... and I'm realizing that she is very anxious about her brother graduating and leaving her. She has a major need for friendly and loving physical contact. And she has a lot to say these days.

Tonight daughter requested to watch Penelope (she also wanted to find Penelope on Netflix herself, she did a very good job!). The psycho-analyst in me wonders if she likes watching Penelope because, somehow, she sees herself as the girl everyone judged but ended up living happily ever after with the boy in the end. I see myself in Penelope's mom - lovingly cruel in her desire to protect her daughter. When daughter talks about getting married someday, I struggle with what to tell her. Will she get married? Or should I say, will she find a boy, a man, who won't take advantage of her and will love her and respect her? Should I instead prepare her that maybe marriage isn't for her? Do I forever tell her that Someday, she'll get married?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reminder: The Administrator deletes messages that identify freetobeme350 :-)