Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Day 1/Day 11: Lunch and Dinner Fun

Day 1/11: I packed my lunch this morning. Over my lunch that included such healthy items as a V8 fruit fusion, an apple, a yogurt, and some mac and cheese, I quizzed co-clerk and intern on how they maintained their stellar physiques. Intern confessed good genetics and regular pilates, while co-clerk said she ate ice cream once throughout the summer and almost no cheese. While these four snippets of wisdom sound impossible to this girl, I did take away a good suggestion for dinner: aim for one starch, one protein, and the rest vegetables. OK... I can do that...

BUT not tonight. A spur of the moment dinner date arose with SuperSaver, and SuperDuper (they have the same first name, so I thought I would replicate that). You remember SuperSaver from Costco; SuperDuper and I grew up together as cousins.

I left work and began the commute for our 5:00 p.m. dinner. Traditionally, SuperDuper is right on time and SuperSaver and I are anywhere from 15 minutes, to 1 hour, 15 minutes late. Road construction was putting me farther behind, despite my recent quest-related punctual training. At 5:01 I called SuperDuper to tell her that I was really close, but I just saw a sign that said certain roads were closed and I needed to know which exit to take. Instead of answering me, she exclaimed, "Are we meeting now? I thought we said 5:30!"

Oh Crap. And look - I just flew by a necessary exit. Whatever, so I'm early. I hung up with SuperDuper and, while navigating traffic, looked at my map. OK, I was going to loop north of Olive Garden and swing back around.

And then the monsoon came. Torrential rain. And the stoplights were hours long. And I had no idea where I was going, so I drove like an injured turtle.

Yup. I was late. 5:32. SIGH!

2 comments:

Reminder: The Administrator deletes messages that identify freetobeme350 :-)