Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Day 6: Half a Lunch & a Mini-Blizzard

For the first time ever, in the fridge at work, there is a Styrofoam box with my name, and today's date written on it. With food inside. I know.

As a person attempting to be free of some extra self, it was a solid victory on the calorie front, as well as the finance front. Such a novel idea... stretch one lunch into TWO?

The idea came when I went to the Greek place and asked how much it would be for one lamb kabob and a side of yellow rice. The total was $3 more than getting the Lamb Kabob plate, which included 2 kabobs, yellow rice, 2 pitas and yogurt-sauce dip. Penny-pincher beat out calorie-counter, and I bought the Kabob plate and took it to go.

As I was eating at my desk (alone, as co-clerk and intern are back at school), I had this weird idea that, since I truly had twice as much as I originally wanted, I should eat only half! Yes, there was a moment when I thought my discipline would fade... as I looked at the other kabob, the yummy rice... and then I closed the box, wrote my name on it, and speed-walked to the kitchen fridge. VICTORY!!!!!

Tonight, I wanted a Buster Bar. ChoirFriend and I were planning to go to DQ either tonight or tomorrow for the new mini-Blizzard. I realized there was a strong possibility I would end up eating a Buster Bar tonight and a blizzard tomorrow, so we went for our blizzards tonight (I had a mini Buster Bar blizzard). The DQ Calorie Calculator says the Turtle Pecan Mini Blizzard is 430 calories - that seems to be the most comparable, pecans = peanuts, chocolate cone coating = fudge, caramel topping = chocolate. Which is still unbelievable. BUT I just looked up a Buster Bar, and it rings in at 480 calories, so yes people - it was a 50 calorie save for the night! (And, if i manage to avoid a second DQ treat tomorrow, a theoretical 530 calorie save... I believe that is 25% of 1 pound).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reminder: The Administrator deletes messages that identify freetobeme350 :-)